Anyone who wants to maximize their health and live to their fullest potential should strive to eat as many whole fresh foods as possible. Fresh fruit, vegetables, legumes, and dairy products are much healthier than their processed counterparts. Another component to eating healthy also means that a person should purchase fresh local foods, rather than foods that are imported or shipped in from a distant location. Local foods possess far fewer preservatives, pesticides, and herbicides as produce that needs to be preserved in order to reach its destination intact. Local foods are also better for the environment as it takes far less fuel to transport them to commercial centers.
The Top 5 Reasons to Eat Fresh and Local Foods
- Optimized Nutrition – It is a well-known fact that fresh foods possess the highest nutrition value of any food type. Preserving foods through heat treatments, pasteurization, and other processing methods destroys a high percentage of the food’s nutritional value. Processed foods on average possess only half the nutritional value of fresh foods.
- Locally Produced Foods Are Environmentally Friendly – Fresh locally produced foods are the most eco-friendly food types on the planet. The reason for this is that they do not need to be transported over long distances in order to reach consumers. That means less fuel is burned in order to deliver them to store shelves.
- They Possess More Fiber – Processed foods are notoriously low in fiber when compared to fresh foods. Mother Nature put fiber in foods for a reason, as it helps to aid in digestion and it also slows down the rate at which the body consumes energy. Adequate daily fiber intake is a cornerstone of any healthy diet.
- It Keeps Your Blood Sugar Low – Processed foods are heavily linked to blood sugar and pancreatic problems. The pancreas struggles to cope with the abundance of sugar found in processed foods like pasta, bread, candy, pastries, and other unhealthy foods. Fresh foods, on the other hand, are usually far less sugary and only possess fructose rather than high fructose corn syrup.
- High in Healthy Fats – Fresh fatty foods like unprocessed fish, avocados, free-range eggs, and locally harvested meats possess far healthier fats than what a person will find in processed butter, hydrogenated oils, and other unhealthy fats found in processed foods.